Ancient Kyoto (private walking tour) | 8 or 4 hour tour
A day trip where we walk and experience Higashiyama, the most famous and important Kyoto touristic area. Higashiyama can be divided into two parts: the southern and northern sections, each of which has its own uniqueness and charm, and we will visit them both. Higashiyama is lush with magnificent temples, ancient narrow roads and hidden corners of nature.
During the day we will visit unique sites and track the Heian (the original name of ancient Kyoto) nobility. The tour will allow us to experience the best of traditional and quiet Kyoto, where its cultural roots date all the way back to the 8th century.
The tour will take you to:
- Kyomizu Temple (one of the best known wooden temples in Kyoto with a spectacular panoramic view over the city)
- Ninen-zaka and Sannen-zaka (Two of Kyoto’s most attractive streets)
- Heian Shrine (constructed for the 1100th anniversary of the establishment of Heian-kyo)
- Ginkakuji Temple (also known as the Silver Pavillion)
- Philosopher’s path (a famous sakura viewing spot along a small river)
- Many more spots along the way
If time allows and if you choose to, you may also have the chance to visit:
- Kodaiji temple (an exceptionally beautiful and not very well known temple in Higashiyama)
- Keninji temple (the oldest zen temple in Kyoto).
You can check out the photos of the places you will visit by looking at the gallery at the bottom of this page or visiting our FB page: click here.
The tour departs from the address of your Kyoto accommodation, which you provide when booking the tour. If you are coming from Osaka or Tokyo, your guide can go and pick you up from Kyoto Station.
9:00 AM for full day tours and at either 9:00 AM or 1:00 PM for a half day tour. If you would like to start at a different time, just let us know!
- 8 hours approximately for a full day tour.
- You can also opt for a half-day tour of approximately 4 hours. (If you are interested in a half day tour, please select the option on the web form. A new lower price will be displayed on the screen).
Means of transport
Public transportation: A combination of buses, trains or taxis can be used to get from one tourist spot to another. Please note that these fees are not included in the tour package, and do not forget to cover your guide's travel expenses as well.
Our guides will be happy to suggest restaurants during lunch time and also places where you can buy snacks and drinks along the way (these expenses are not included in the tour package). Please note that for full-day tours, the guide will join you for lunch and we ask that you cover the cost of his/her lunch.
Temple and garden entrance fees are also not included (these costs are usually low).
Returns to original departure point at approximately 5:00 pm.
Remember that the price of the tour is the same for your entire group (from 1 up to 6 people). We don't charge per person.
Please be sure to read our FAQ to see what is included in the tour fee and other details.
Book us now by filling in the form (on the right side of this page if on a computer or a the bottom if you are using a mobile device). No payment is required yet and you can change your itinerary later on. Remember, all our prices are in Japanse yen.